|Do you love science? Have you been looking for a forum to display what you have learned about the sciences of the middle ages? Many of the inventions we take for granted as modern were really invented before or during the middle ages! Yes, even the flushing toilet was invented in 1596 and installed in the residence of Queen Elizabeth I. |
In August of 2011 the Barony of Tir Ysgithr in Atenveldt will host an Exhibition of Medieval Scientific Invention. This will be a non-judged event where participants will be able to display the inventions and sciences of the Middle Ages that interest them.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
· A website of links and references www.the-orb.net/encyclop/culture/scitech/i
· Concrete / architecture / city planning
· Astronomy/view of the universe/planet knowledge (psst… the earth is round.)
· Navigational tools / boats
· Plumbing / toilets /baths etc
· Medicine / plastic surgery (yes) / prosthetics
· Labor saving devices / agricultural tools and methods
· Batteries / clocks / automatons / celestial computers / Complex locks
· Printing press / movable type
· Weaving / spinning technologies / dye technologies / sericulture
· Machines of war / armor and weapon technologies / metal refining
. Form a debate team to argue the 2 sides of a theory such as flat vs round earth
and so much more!
Get started now. In one year we will gather to share what we’ve all learned.